Implementation Regulations of Submission for the 3rd Dafen International Oil Painting Biennale, Shenzhen 2022
Under the national development goals of “the Belt and Road” initiative and the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area, the cultural brand of Dafen International Oil Painting Biennale, Shenzhen continues to exert its international influence, with Shenzhen, the pioneer city of reform and opening-up, as a foothold, continuously radiating outward, promoting the new trend of cultural industry development with stronger confidence, and setting the standards of artistic creation.
This exhibition continues to adhere to the promotion of oil paintings with creativity and individuality, with a special focus on painting, academic and artistic characteristics. Through this exhibition, Dafen will become a platform for China to understand the world and a window for the world to acknowledge China, thus facilitating the exchange and development of artists from all over the world in terms of culture and art.
I. Exhibition Name
The 3rd Dafen International Oil Painting Biennale, Shenzhen 2022
II. Duration, Venue and Sum of Exhibits
Duration: September 28th - December 26th , 2022 ( to be determined)
Venue: Dafen Art Museum, Shenzhen
Sum of Exhibits: Approx. 280
III. Exhibition Theme
Theme: Connectivity and Development
Interpretation of the theme: There’s only one Earth for mankind, and all nations coexist in one world. Today's world is undergoing great changes that have not happened in a century. People of all countries live in the same global village and in the same time and space where history and reality interconnect, have increasingly become a community of interdependent interests.
Globalization has accelerated the development of economy, culture and technology beyond national boundaries. Any nation or country should open its door to the world. Global development needs strong global cooperation, global threats need to be faced globally, no country should deal with them alone. By building up a partnership of connectivity and common development, we can work together and make social progress, as well as opening up a broader, more dynamic stage of world civilization, and contribute to the construction of a community of shared future for mankind.
China Artists Association
CPC Publicity Department of Shenzhen Municipal Party Committee
Shenzhen Federation of Literary and Art Circles
CPC Shenzhen Longgang District Committee, People's Government of Longgang District
Fine Arts Center of China Federation of Literary and Art Circles
Shenzhen Artists Association
Longgang District Culture, Radio, Television, Tourism and
Buji Sub-district Office of Longgang District, Shenzhen
Dafen Art Museum, Shenzhen
Honorary Directors: Fan Di'an, Wang Qiang
Executive Directors: Xu Li, Chen Jinhai, Liang Yu, Zhang Liwei
Deputy Directors: Tao Qin, Ma Fenghui,, Wang Cefei
Secretary Generals: Yi Yukun, Huang Huibo, Dong Xiaoming, Dong Junxin
Commissioners: Ning Pingping, Liu Bin, Zhu Yuhua, Peng Gang, Liu Qing, Chen Xiangbo, Yang Xiaoyang, Zhang Feng, Liu Liangbo, Liu Yajing, Chen Xiangbing, Hao Qiang, Liang Jian, Zhang Ke
Office Directors: Lv Yanfeng, Ning Pingping, Peng Gang, Chen Xiangbo,
Deputy Office Directors: Wang Wei, Zhang Xue,Yang Xiaoyang, Zhang Feng, Liu Yajing
Exhibition Editors: Wang Xuemin, Lu Weixuan
V. The Jury and Requirements for Participating Works
The participating works of the 3rd Dafen Biennale are expected to come from all over the world, and the representative oil paintings will be selected. The specific requirements are:
1. The jury of the Dafen Biennale is consist of experts from China Artists Association’s expert team, who are responsible for selection. The Jury is responsible for the impartiality and the selection outcome.
2. Domestic and foreign participating works of Dafen Biennale can be submitted freely and are collected globally.
3. The participating works are supposed to be oil paintings created after 2018, and should be the artist's own original works. All the rights and interests of the submitted works belong to the artist himself/herself. The submitted works should focus on aesthetic taste and artistic quality. Each person should submit no more than 2 works (including co-created works).
4. The length and width of oil painting works should be no more than 200cm (excluding the outer frame), and each side length of wooden box should be less than 2.4m after the post is packed. The packaged weight should not exceed 100kg.
5. Once being selected, the participating works should be framed by the artist, and the inner and outer frames should be firm. The frames should not have nails and exposed sharp objects. If the participating works have mirror frame, it should not use glass mirror and could use plexiglass or transparent plastic board.
6. The Sponsor has the right to refuse the participating works which are not in accordance with the information in the forms submitted by artists or which are over-sized, overweight, smelly, difficult to be transported and arranged for exhibition, or are dangerous to the visitors.
7. The participating works are required to be original. Once plagiarism is found, the work will be disqualified for selection and participation in the exhibition. Once the selected works have been found to have mistakes related to politics and history, violations of public orders and customs, and hurt the feelings of the Chinese people, the Sponsor should have the right to immediately cancel all the qualifications about it, such as being selected and published and participating in exhibitions and conferences. The Sponsor reserves the right of final interpretation of related issues.
VI. Submission and Selection
1. Submission Time: September 6th , 2021 - January 3rd , 2022
2. Selection: Dafen Biennale adopts the online submission, and the participating artist should log on the website (http://dfbiennale.artron.net/) and submit the information to complete the registration according to the requirements. Each participating artist needs to submit high resolution images of the work in JPG format (more than 8 million pixels or no less than 5MB) and is required to complete the registration form on the official website. The form must be clearly filled out, without missing items, and the submitted materials will not be accepted if exceeding the submission time. The Organizing Committee will review images of domestic and foreign participating works, and all participating information will be archived. Once submitted, the materials will not be returned, please keep the original copy. Photos or the original works sent by post are not accepted.
3. The selection outcome: The Organizing Committee will select the works based on the photos of the submitted works and the outcome will be announced on the official website of the Dafen Biennale in June, 2022. Meanwhile, the Sponsor will notify the selected artists to clarify the responsibilities, rights and obligations of both parties.
4. Registration and participation fee is not required.
5. The Sponsor reserves the rights as follows: freely exhibit and display the participating works, freely take photos of these works and use these photos openly free of charge, use the artist personal information listed in the registration forms for domestic and foreign publicity works of the exhibition, and publications of paintings albums etc., and the image reproduction rights including developing Biennale souvenirs, and the right to publish the works in the relevant media and networks for long term.
6. All the participating works and participants of Dafen Biennale should be deemed to have confirmed and complied with the requirements of the notice.
VII. Packaging, Transportation and Insurance of Participating Works
1. The Sponsor covers the cost of round-trip transportation fees for participating works from overseas (from the country in which the works are located to Shenzhen, China). For domestic participating works, only the returning cost is covered.
2. The participating artists should cover the cost of round-trip insurance of transportation by themselves for their works. The Sponsor will refuse to offer carriage service for uninsured works, and will be responsible for the insurance of the participating works during exhibition.
3. The Sponsor will inform the foreign artists the confirmed carrier agency by website announcements and e-mail in time. The carrier agency will arrange their staff to contact foreign artists in a timely manner. The foreign artists should properly pack participating works as required, and put them in a fumigated box and give it to the carrier agency designated by the Sponsor, and clearly mark the designated exhibiting number offered by the Sponsor on the outside of the packages before July 20th, 2022. In order to complete customs clearance smoothly, if the packaging materials of foreign participating works is raw wood (including all materials used for packaging works such as crates, mats and wedges, etc.), the raw wood must be fumigated, and the artists are required to mark the national IPPC (International Plant Protection Convention) logos on at least both sides of packaging materials. In addition, the artist should bear the cost of packaging, and the carrier agency will be responsible for picking up the works.
The domestic artists should post the packed participating works to the designated location of the Sponsor and clearly write the designated exhibiting number offered by the Sponsor on the outside of the package box before July 20th, 2022. The post must be “door” to “door”. The fees of posting works to Shenzhen should be borne by the artists, and the fees of returning works will be borne by the Sponsor.
Participating artists should ship the corresponding works or deliver them to the carrier agency in time, and should not replace works with other ones without permission, otherwise the Sponsor has the right to refuse it. If participating works can not be delivered to carrier agency or shipped to the designated place in time, the Sponsor will not be responsible for the consequences that the works can not be exhibited in this case.
The Sponsor will not accept any unselected works, and will not undertake any obligation of the works.
4. For any selected works damaged during transportation due to poor packaging, or broken, shed, deformed or suffering other changes due to their own instability or weakness, or damaged in the process of transportation at artist’s own risk, the Sponsor will notify the artist in time, but will not take any responsibility of it.
5. The Sponsor will be responsible for returning the selected works. For the foreign works sent by the undesignated carrier agency, the Sponsor will not be responsible for returning them. If those works do need to be returned, the artist should negotiate with the Sponsor before July 31st, 2022.
VIII. The Benefits of Artists
1. Each participating artist will receive a copy of “The Collection of the 3rd Dafen International Oil Painting Biennale, Shenzhen 2022”. The Collection will be published, with all participating works, the introduction of artists, work descriptions and other related text contents included.
2. The selected works will be awarded the certificate issued by the Sponsor.
3. For the selected domestic participating works (the top 60 pieces), the artists will have one chance of applying the membership of China Artists Association.
IX. Works for Donation
The Sponsor accepts free donations. Artists who are willing to donate participating works voluntarily should mark in the column of the work registration form. The donated works should be the original copy of the exhibits and will be in the permanent collection of the Co-organizer Dafen Art Museum, Shenzhen. The museum will issue certificates to donors and hold donation exhibition in due time.
X. Academic Symposium
1. Biennale parallel activities and related international academic exchange activities will be held during the exhibition, which invites the Organizing Committee, Chinese and foreign artists, influential art critics, curators and related scholars to attend.
2. The topic will focus on the theme of the exhibition, such as “Connectivity and Development”.
XI. Contact Information
Address: Dafen Art Museum, Buji Sub-district, Longgang District, Shenzhen, China
Postal Code: 518112
Tel: 86-755-28402456 (Beijing Time: 9:00 - 12:00, 14:00 - 18:00. Workdays only)
Dafen Biennale official website: http://dfbiennale.artron.net/
E-mail: email@example.com (for domestic including Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan regions)
firstname.lastname@example.org (for foreign)
Note: All artists who apply to participate in this Dafen Biennale are deemed to have agreed to the Notice of Submission and Regulations mentioned above. The Organizing Committee of the 3rd Dafen International Oil Painting Biennale, Shenzhen, 2022 has the final interpretation for the contents of this regulations.
The Organizing Committee of Dafen International Oil Painting Biennale, Shenzhen